Saturday, August 16, 2008

Alpha Thingy!

Hi peeps! I just came back from the Alpha retreat today lol. It was a fun time aswell as an awesome experience with God. The peeps that came were Qynn, Vernis, Kim, Jean, Samuel Chee, Jared (aka mister Goh!) Hughbert, Hugh, Harold and myself. We went to this place which I already forgot where it is, but it was about 45 mins away.

Recently we were discussing about the holy spirit and what he does. It can give us many powerful gifts like healing, wisdom and speaking in tongues etc.... At the retreat, we were given an awesome and priceless opportunity to experience some of it ourselves! We were given the chance to take the offer of speaking in tongues.

Firstly, it is faith and trust that allows these gifts to be properly accepted. I learnt that every christian has the holy spirit livign inside them, but not everyone is filled with the holy spirit. Sound confusing?- I was confused at first lol. Well it is actually pretty simple; the spirit is living inside us, but we all have different gifts and powers from it.(being filled with the holy spirit)

Well ya, i really wanted to take my faith to a new level, and the gift of tongues is something that does that. When we pray, we may soemtimes pray for the wrong thing, or we may be stuck for ideas or words, but when we speak in tongues, the holy spirit is really speaking through you, using what is in your heart. So you dun really need to know wat to pray, just let the holy spirit do tha talkin' (*american gangsta accent*)

I took the opportunity to learn how to speak in tongues. It is like a baby talking for the first time; you dont really know how to talk properly. At first, I struggled to get words out of my mouth, cause I really din know any words. The peeps who knew how to speak in tongues prayed for those who didn't know how. After perserverence and trust, I managed to roll some words out of my mouth. I din know wat I was saying, but I just let the holy sprit move through me. The gift of tongues is simmilar to any other language; you need to practice and use it often for it to expand. So those who have the gift of tongues, remember to practice and use it during your time with God so it doesn't go out of your head.

We had some extreme worship at the retreat too- using Kim Ooi's laptop :)
The reasome why I loved worship there is cause it was sincere. No matter where we are, we can worship God the same. We may not be at church, we may not be at Fungus, and we may not even have proper music, but we can still worship God with our all. Actually, we dun even need to sing to the lyrics if we don't want to, just worship God however you want to. Even if your voice is really bad, just shout it out lol. i am sure we would respect u even more if u did that, cause it shows that you worship God regardless of anything.

it is always satisfying seeing people on fire for God, but i know it is hard to keep that passion burning. Events like camps and retreats are designed to bring your faith to a new level, so when you go back to your normal life, make it somewhat different to your usual self. Take a new step as time progresses, even if it may be only a tiny step. Oh, and talking about that, go and invite some of your friends to the upcoming Fungus rally lol. If we step out in boldness and faith, I trust God will show up in the situation. Just show them the title of the rally; I am sure that will stir something up within them ^^

Well ya, the retreat was a really fun time too lol. A few of us cooked breakky and dinner too :)
For dinenr we cooked spaghetti, and for breakky, hash browns, sausages, scrambled eggs and bacon. hehehee...... I hardly slept last night lol. Olympics on tv, hyper kids in the room; its pretty hard to sleep lol. I got kidshaper this week too lol. I am so gonna be really tired after the week hhee. Well peeps, i gonna sleep now. Bye!!

0 comments: